Streaming is the new normal for ingesting music. Long gone are the days of buying CDs. The number of paying subscribers to subscription services rose to 41 million in 2014 and are even higher now in 2015. With the rise of streaming in the last few years now is the best time to get your music up on Apple Music and Spotify. Unless you are part of a label with a direct connection to Apple and Spotify you are going to have to use an aggregator. For an independent artist there are plenty of options to choose from. I have compiled a list below with a few companies that are fast, effective and have a proven relationship with both companies. Some of them are better than others but the choice is ultimately yours.
Tunecore (Apple Certified)
- Will upload your music to Apple Music, Spotify and more for a fee ($9.99 for a single, $29.99 for an album)
- Publishing Administration for $75 flat-fee and 10% commission will make sure you receive all the royalties you are entitled too as a songwriter.
CD Baby (Apple Certified)
- Affordable Worldwide Music Distribution ($14.99 single, $59 album)
- No annual fees
- Collects all royalties on your behalf from streaming services.
Catapult Distribution (Apple Certified)
- One time $25 setup fee for albums, one time $9 setup fee for singles.
- Direct PayPal royalty payments
Note: Before deciding to upload your music to any of these services make sure to affiliate with a PRO (BMI, ASCAP or SESAC). This is not necessary but highly recommended.
If you have any questions about this just leave a comment below or email me directly!